This year I made a fence for the cemetery.
I blaintly stole ideas from everybody!
I'd like to give the most credit to:
|Just the first pic of the completed fence|
|Another pic of the completed fence|
|I started with 1/2 in PVC cut to 40 inches long|
|This pile did 32 feet of fence|
Glue on some skull whistles for finials
I carved out a little of the top of the PVC with my dremel tool so that the whistle would fit better.
Ready for a coat of paint
No overspray here!
|Quick coat of black flat enamel paint|
Here is an almost completed section of the fence. As you can see the PVC is inserted into 1/2 furring strip after drilling a 7/8 inch hole every 6 inches (I looked at doing it every 8 inches to save on material, but it didn't look natural)
Later I checked come real iron fences and the spacing was 6 inches on all of them.
7/8 inch hole was a little big so I had to drive a screw into each section of PVC
(Earlier I tried a 13/16 drill bit, but the holes it made were a bit too snug and I broke 2 furring stips trying to shove the PVC in)
|OK, time to start on the columns. First I cut a 1/2 sheet of plywood into 2 pieces 11 inches wide by 4 foot tall and 2 pieces 12 inches wide by 4 foot tall.|
|Think those measurements a bit strange, do you? Well, as you can see I used 2x2s (4 feet long) to screw the sheets of plywood together. By making 2 of them 11 inches wide and then adding the two 1/2 inch sides of the other sheets, I got a 12 inch by 12 inch by 4 foot tall box.(one side removed for clarity)|
|Here's a view from the top looking inside.|
|Here's what they look like, pretty simple so far!|
|Whoops! Looks like I skipped a few steps. I added 2x6 pressure treated lumber to the base and 2x4 lumber to the top. After gluing on the pink insulating board to the support structure, I drew where I wanted the mortar lines|
|After drawing where I wanted the mortar lines, I carved out the pink foam with a soldering iron|
|A pic of after I carved out the mortar lines. This gave the stones a 'raised' look|
|But they were too smooth to be real stones. I used a propane torch and lightly grazed the pink foam to give it a little depth|
|I painted the mortar lines black (Not very realistic, but I think they look nice)|
|Finally! A little sponge painting to finish the stones and here is a Picture of the 6 completed smaller columns|
|A close up of one of the completed pilsters. If you look carefully (or click on the pic) you can see the L bracket that the top rail of the fence sections hang from.|
|Here they are in storage in my garage. You'd better make sure you have a lot of room to store these things! As you can see in this Picture, I have the two large gate section and three of the six fence sections. I need more shelving to finish.|
|Here's a close up of the L brackets that the fence sections hang off of|
|Just a quick pic of the arch. I didn't take any Pictures of the construction but the letters are carved out of pink foam, painted and glued onto a piece of curved plywood|